Most small businesses need an internet presence to remain competitive in today’s market. As more people go online to search for information on companies and products before they make a purchase, companies need to have websites, blogs, and social media accounts so they can be found by consumers. Search engine optimization, or SEO, is the foundation of any online marketing plan, but it isn’t always easy to understand. The following tips will help you lead your small business into the world of SEO and online marketing.
- Highly competitive keywords will require years of hard work to dominate online, and you may never dominate Google with some keywords. To speed up results and avoid that intense competition with big companies and their substantial marketing budgets, choose longer keyword phrases that incorporate those highly competitive keywords. These are mid-tail and longtail keywords. For instance, it may be much easier to dominate “weight loss success stories” than to dominate “weight loss.”
- Make sure your keywords are directly connected to your products or services. There are some hot keywords out there that could draw a lot of traffic to your website and blog, but if your website and blog has nothing to do with those keywords they are useless. Think of terms that consumers may use when looking for a business like yours, and perform keyword research with those terms.
- SEO is considered a “free” method of online marketing, but it does take a lot of your time. You cannot do keyword research one time, throw a few keywords on each page of your website, and forget about it. The rules are constantly changing, and you have to make sure your website follows those rules to keep the search engines happy. You also have to perform ongoing keyword research to create fresh content for your websites and blogs. You may also choose to use your keyword list to invest in other forms of advertising that can produce faster results while you wait for your SEO efforts to pay off.
- The time to perform keyword research and start implementing SEO is before you purchase the domain name for your blog or website. In order to create a presence online, you need to place your primary keywords in your domain name, your page titles, tags, and other critical places throughout your site. This tells the search engines and consumers exactly what you have to offer.
- You can implement SEO through videos and images on your website, so it is not all about the text. When keywords and links are properly placed, you can use videos and images to draw additional traffic to your website. You do not want to stuff keywords where they do not fall naturally, but tags and titles are perfect opportunities to toss them in.
There is more to search engine optimization, but these five tips will get your small business off to a good start. This is the foundation of your online marketing campaign, but there are many other things you can do to build from this foundation and achieve faster results.
Check Out Our Top Rated Internet Marketing Solutions and Training:
Thanks for visiting!
Founder of EBusinessIdeasOnline.com